Getting noticed is the first step in the world of college recruiting. When approaching your recruiting process in any sport, you need to market yourself as if you were a salesman, and YOU are the product. You could be the best product around but if no one knows about you, an offer is never going to come. The worst mistake an athlete can make is to wait for a coach or parent to do the recruiting legwork for them. Here are a few tips to help you get noticed:
- HAVE A PLAN OF ATTACK! It is impossible to make a sale if you don’t have a game plan. So sit down and figure out your top 30 schools, that’s right 30! The more the merrier, at the end of this process you want to have multiple options.
- TRAIN YEAR ROUND at a quality (www.varsityhousegym.com) sports performance facility! In today’s game there is no off-season. If you list that you are 6’2 220, you better look 6’2 220 when a coach comes strolling through the doors the week after thanksgiving.
- HIT THE CAMP CIRCUIT HARD prior to your senior season. Choose the biggest camps around. They will have coaches from all levels, D1AA, DII, and DIII. Like I said before, THIS IS A SALES PITCH. You want to be exposed to as many coaches and players as possible. News travels fast these days, and if you perform well at a big-time camp everyone is going to know.
- HAVE A PROFESSIONAL HIGHLIGHT FILM MADE. A single game film no longer makes the cut, especially if it’s a VHS! It’s all about presentation and what is going to attract your potential employer (Teams). Coaches receive thousands of game films annually. A packaged product that is going to stand out amongst the rest will insure the most attention! Calculated highlight films attract interest. Be certain it’s no longer than 5 minutes. Chances are you’ll only get 2 minutes to make an impression.
- DO SOME LEG WORK. If a school doesn’t respond with a phone call or letter, you need to contact them! Most school’s recruiting departments are underfunded and understaffed. It takes almost zero effort to make a few phone calls!
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL FILM CREW. If your high school game footage is typically brutal, have a professional service privately film/produce your highlight film. You only have one opportunity at a first impression. MAKE IT COUNT!
- I will be having FREE phone consultations regarding the recruiting process every Monday starting September 12th. Email me at email@example.com to reserve a time slot.
Varsity Highlights HD © 2012
184 Central Avenue
Old Tappan, NJ 07675